Extra Help

Get information about the services available for those who may need some extra help.

We’re here to help

At UW, we understand that no two customers are the same. That's why we have a range of free help and support services available, should you need it.

Our free support services

We have a range of free services available that may assist you.

Alternative format bills
If you find it difficult to read your bills and statements, we can provide them in Braille, large print or by audio format. We can also provide other documents in special formats, if you need.

Password identification scheme 
You can choose a password which will be used by any of our team or representatives who visit your property, so you can check it is definitely us.. Your password details will remain completely confidential, and will be only shared with people who need to use it. If you want to change your password at any time, just let us know.

Bill management
We can arrange for your bills to be sent to someone on your behalf. They will also be able to help you manage the account.

Priority fault repair
The Priority Fault Repair Scheme is for customers in specific circumstances who rely on their UW landline or fixed broadband connection. It gives them priority over customers with standard faults. Customers may be eligible for Priority Fault Repair if they can demonstrate their service being unavailable may pose a danger to life. This is determined by guidance set out by Openreach, who are responsible for the cables and exchanges that connect the UK to the broadband and telephone network. It includes the following: 

  • Uses wheelchair, has severe mobility or disability.

  • Has a severe medical condition which is life threatening and relies on a working phone or broadband service.

  • Has a severe mental health problem or cognitive disability.

  • Has a Careline, Lifeline or Pendant

  • Has no access to a mobile phone. 

  • Has a severely sick child.

  • Is registered under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970. 

Contact us for more information.

Relay services
If you have difficulty with your hearing or speech you can use Relay services (Text Relay and Next Generation Text Relay). When you are on a call, if you have difficulty hearing, the Relay Assistant types what the other person is saying and if you have difficulty speaking, the Relay Assistant will speak the words you type. You can use this service either through your textphone (Minicom / Uniphone) or by downloading the app for your smartphone, tablet or computer. For more information click here.

SignVideo service
Another option if you have difficulty with your hearing or speech and instead wish to use Sign Language to contact us via an interpreter, is our SignVideo option. To use this service you will need to be on a PC, Mac, Laptop, Smartphone or Tablet and when you are ready you can then click the SignVideo Link button on our ‘contact us’ page or click here. This will take you to a page that will connect you with a member of the SignVideo team. 

SignVideo will in turn call UW so they can interpret the information via sign language from, and then back to you by speaking to a member of the UW customer service team. For more information click here.

999BSL service
999 BSL is a service that connects you to British Sign Language Interpreters remotely through an app or a web-based platform, who then will relay the conversation with the call handler and emergency authorities. This service has been set up so that no BSL user will be excluded when they need to make an emergency call, therefore saving lives. The 999 BSL service is for emergency situations ONLY, for an example if someone is seriously injured; lives at risk; being in danger or harm; a serious offence is in progress or just has been committed.

For less urgent situations, please use Police 101 (wherever possible) and NHS111 through SignVideo - not 999 BSL, unless there is an emergency.There are two ways to reach the emergency authorities through 999 BSL service and they are:

For more information click here.

Free 195 directory enquiries
If you are unable to hold or read a printed directory because of sight loss or other disability, you can access free directory enquiries by dialling 195. The Operator can also connect you and you’ll be charged as if you’d dialled the number yourself. Before you can use this service, you need to fill in an application form and have it countersigned by a doctor, nurse or other medical practitioner who knows you.  Call free on 0800 587 0195 to get an application form. 

Emergency SMS
Hearing and speech impaired customers can contact the emergency services by sending a text message (SMS) to 999 or 112. The message will be passed to the police, ambulance service, fire rescue, or coastguard who will be able to reply. You must register your phone before you can use this service. To register text ‘register’ to 999 and follow the instructions you are sent.

Energy efficiency advice 
Making your home more energy efficient will help save money on your energy bills. Visit our Energy Efficiency advice page to find out how you could make savings with just a few simple steps.

Priority Services Register

The Priority Services Register is a confidential register which contains details of any specific needs you think we should know about. Customers with energy services can join the Register, if you are a senior citizen, or disabled, or chronically ill. 


Specific services can be offered to those on our Priority Services Register:

Meter reading
If you or anyone living with you is unable to read your electricity or gas meters, you can request that we read your meter once every three months.


Meter repositioning 
If you have a prepayment meter, and find it difficult to access it safely top up, we can arrange to move it to a more appropriate location.


Special controls and adaptors
If you find it difficult to use a particular appliance, our customer services team can give you advice on specialist equipment that may be helpful.

Gas safety check
A free annual check of all gas appliances is available to qualifying customers. These are carried out by Gas Safe registered engineers, who can also give you advice on the condition of your appliances and how to use them safely.

How to join
Complete our online form here, or contact us if you would like more information. 


Keeping you supplied
If you’re on our Priority Services Register, we will ensure your details, including any safety passwords, are passed to both your gas transporter (who is responsible for the pipeline that brings gas to your property) and the local electricity distribution company (which is responsible for the cables that bring electricity into your home). This ensures they are aware of your circumstances, in case of an emergency or supply disruption that may affect you.

If your gas transporter or your local electricity distribution company has to turn off your supply to carry out essential work, they will let you know at least two working days before any work starts. While we do our best to ensure a continuous supply, please note that this cannot be guaranteed.

If your gas transporter needs to disconnect the gas supply to your property for safety reasons, and you or someone living with you is on our Priority Services Register, your gas transporter will provide alternative heating and cooking facilities so far as is reasonably practical to do so. If electricity is crucial to you.

More about the Warm Home Discount scheme

The Warm Home Discount is a Government led scheme that offers financial support to households that need it most. If you live in Scotland, the Warm Home Discount works differently to England and Wales. 

For full details of the Warm Home Discount Scheme, visit our dedicated page, or contact us.

Help and advice for your bills

If you’re struggling to pay your bills, it’s really important that you contact us as soon as possible. Don’t leave it too long – we have a friendly, specialist team who’ll support you in the best way we can.

Get advice about energy bills

Get advice about mobile and broadband bills

Get independent advice

If you would like to receive free, impartial and practical advice regarding your energy supply, contact one of the following organisations: 

Citizens Advice and Advice Direct Scotland are the official sources of free and independent energy advice and support.


If you live in England or Wales, go to citizensadvice.org.uk/energy or contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 223 1133. Calls are free.


If you live in Scotland, go to energyadvice.scot or contact Advice Direct Scotland on 0808 196 8660. Calls are free.


Some other organisations that may be able to help:


Age UK 

Phone: 0800 678 1602

Online: ageuk.org.uk


Disabled Living Foundation 

Phone: 0300 999 0004

Email: [email protected]

Online: dlf.org.uk 


Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)

Phone: 0303 123 9999

Email: [email protected]  

Online: rnib.org.uk


Action on Hearing Loss

Telephone: 0808 808 0123 

Textphone: 0808 808 9000 

SMS: 0780 0000 360

Email: [email protected]

Online: actiononhearingloss.org.uk



Phone: 0300 123 3393

Email: [email protected]

Online: mind.org.uk

UW Hardship Fund

Here at UW, we know that the cost of living and energy crisis has put financial pressure on many households. That’s why we’ve created a fund to help our customers who are struggling to pay their bills.

To find out more about the fund visit our dedicated page or contact us.

Energy Efficiency Advice

One of the best ways to lower your gas and electricity bills is to reduce your energy use at home. Take a look at some of our simple, affordable tips and advice  – particularly for the colder months of the year, when your bills are highest.